Carlsbad Homes for Sale with Guest House
Carlsbad Homes for Sale with Guest House
Homes with Guest Houses have Never been so sought after!
Backyards and garage sheds being turned into living spaces or guest houses are now growing more popular here in Carlsbad CA.
These great living spaces do not only give its occupants independence and privacy, but they also “grow with you” where you have the freedom to repurpose them to meet your needs at your convenience.
Because of this growing trend in the homes for sale in Carlsbad CA in the recent years, you can easily find homes with guest houses that were either built with the original construction or added to it later on.
Who wouldn't want to add value to their home by having a guest house?
Building a home with a guest house gives you the pride of providing your visitors who are staying over the kind of exceptional comfort they need. It gives not only your visitors precious privacy, but you and your family as well.
The best part about having a guest house is that it increases the value of your home without having to spend a lot of money. In many situations you will actually save money because you won't have to sell your house and buy a bigger house incurring closing costs, moving costs, etc.
Homes with guest houses in Carlsbad CA are perfect for every need!
One of the many benefits of having an ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) or a guest house right in your Carlsbad CA real estate property is that it allows you the option to have your aging parents living nearby. They will be close by when they need you or vice versa, while still totally maintaining their freedom and independence.* I am not an attorney and I don't play one on T.V. so check with your attorney before you list or rent your property out.*
These guest houses will generally have its own kitchen, bathroom and bedroom - anyone residing here are bound to enjoy independence and privacy.
Family and friends vacationing over will certainly be delighted to stay in your home’ guest house. With the various great sights to see in Carlsbad CA, along with the comfort of staying in your guest house, this will guarantee a pleasurable stay!
You can also have your housekeeper, caregiver, nanny, or your gardener stay in the guest house. You can even repurpose it a home office, art studio or your very own hobby shop!
You can even rent it out; even list it for AirBNB or VRBO for extra income!
Do you want to add a guest house to your Carlsbad CA home?
This is a great idea! Specially if you have plenty of space in your home. Before you jump into this brilliant idea, it’s important to take note of the State laws in your area.
In 1986, the state of California put a “granny flat’ law in place. Under Government Code Section 65852. 2 Second Unit Law, the granny flat statute is in place to provide affordable housing in population-dense areas such as Carlsbad, ease rental housing deficits, increase the property tax base, and be supplemental income to homeowners.
Starting in January, there is a new law, SB 1069, B1069 that takes effect to reduce the enormous fees and restrictions that cities have placed on adding accessory units.
Now can be a great time for you to add a guest house in your Carlsbad home!
The legislation states that as long as the granny flat meets current zoning guidelines, you can avoid having to get a conditional use permit.
Here are the basic rules on adding accessory units for Carlsbad CA. Second dwelling units shall comply with the following:
- The second dwelling unit shall either be attached to the main dwelling unit and located within the habitable area of the main dwelling unit or detached from the main dwelling unit and located on the same lot as the main dwelling unit;
- The second dwelling unit shall have a separate entrance;
- The second dwelling unit must meet the setback, lot coverage and other development standards applicable to the zone which are not addressed within this subsection. In the coastal zone, any housing development processed pursuant to this chapter shall be consistent with all certified local coastal program provisions, with the exception of density, or as otherwise specified within this subsection;
- Attached second dwelling units shall conform to the height limits applicable to the zone and detached second dwelling units shall be limited to one story, except that second dwelling units constructed above detached garages shall be permitted and shall conform to the height limits applicable to the zone;
- Garage conversions are prohibited unless replacement off-street garage parking is provided concurrently and in compliance with the requirements of Chapter 21.44:
- Second dwelling units shall not be permitted on a lot or parcel having guest or accessory living quarters, or a residential care facility. Existing guest or accessory living quarters may be converted into a second dwelling unit provided that all zoning and structural requirements are met;
- One additional paved off-street (covered or uncovered) parking space shall be provided for the second dwelling unit and shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 21.44. The additional parking space may be provided through tandem parking (provided that the garage is set back a minimum of twenty feet from the property line) or in the front yard setback;
- Adequate water and sewer capacity and facilities for the second dwelling unit must be available or made available;
- All necessary public facilities and services must be available or made available;
- The second unit may be rented and shall not be sold separately from the main dwelling unit unless the lot on which such units are located is subdivided. The lot upon which the second unit is located shall not be subdivided unless each lot which would be created by the subdivision will comply with the requirements of this title and Title 20; and further provided, that all structures existing on each proposed lot will comply with the development standards applicable to each lot;
- The total area of floor space for an attached or detached second unit shall not exceed six hundred forty square feet;
- The second dwelling unit shall be architecturally compatible with the main dwelling unit, in terms of appearance, materials and finished quality;
- A second dwelling unit which conforms to the requirements of this section shall be allowed to exceed the permitted density for the lot upon which it is located and shall be deemed to be a residential use consistent with the density requirements of the general plan and the zoning designation for the lot;
- Second dwelling units intended to satisfy an inclusionary requirement shall comply with the requirements of Chapter, 21.85,including but not limited to the applicable rental rates and income limit standards. (Ord. CS-178 § IX, 2012; Ord. CS-166 §§ 1, 2, 2011; Ord. CS-102 § XX, 2010; Ord. NS-718 § 7, 2004)
Carlsbad CA homes with guest houses can be made in various configurations.
Some of the developments here that have guest houses or casitas built during original construction are Calaveras Hills in 1986, Bella Lago in Aviara in 1999, The Ranch in 1999, San Pacifico in 2000, La Costa Oaks in 2004, Terraces at Sunny Creek in 2002 & 2003, Rancho Carrillo 2001 & 2002, The Bay Collection in 2006, Stoneridge in 2006, Baleareas of La Costa in 2006 & 7, La Costa Greens in 2007, The Foothills in 2012, The Enclave at Buena Vista in 2015, and Southern Preserve in 1015.
Due to its growing popularity, Carlsbad started to require income certification of renters of the granny flats two years ago. Although there have been fewer accessory units built here since, you’d still find many homes for sale with guest houses sprinkled throughout Carlsbad CA.
You can have your guest house added onto the main house. If you prefer a detached unit in the yard, that’s also great for added freedom from disturbance. Some would even opt to have their guest house in a basement unit, above the garage or in a cleverly converted garage space.
All these guest house designs are self-contained with their own entrance, kitchen, bathroom and living area. With a guest house, you can easily have your loved ones conveniently and comfortably near you while every one retains their independence!
Ready to look for a Carlsbad CA home for sale with a guest house? Or are you thinking of selling your home with a guest house?
Call me, Dennis Smith, at 760-212-8225. I have the best knowledge and experience in the local real estate market, you can expect me to help you find your dream home or successfully sell your home worry-free.
We can set you up for FREE, with no obligation to our real estate MLS ( multiple listing service) where you can get email alerts as soon as a home comes on the market that fits your criteria. This way, you won't miss the best deals and the house in Carlsbad you are looking for.
Dennis Smith CalBRE #00476662 - 1265 Carlsbad Village Dr. #100, Carlsbad CA 92008